The holiday season is fast approaching. Soon it will be the season for toy shopping, but shopping for toys isn’t your only option. Have you given any thought to the possibility of making the dolls or toys you’ll give to the children on your holiday gift list? It’s totally do-able considering there are many, many patterns available for sewing, knitting and crocheting adorable toys.
You aren’t limited to these craft techniques, by any means. Lately, tiny, cute needle felted toy animals have been trendy. (I don’t know how to make these — so I have no recommendations for needle felting patterns. Yet. Hoping to work on that soon…) Right now, knitting and crocheting are my top craft techniques, so this post will focus primarily on pattern recommendations for crocheted and knitted toys.
Knitted Dolls and Teddy Bears
If you want to knit truly wonderful holiday gifts for anyone in your inner circle, my top pattern book recommendation of the moment would be Arne & Carlos Favorite Designs. This book isn’t specifically intended to be a toy pattern book, but it does have some fantastic options for fun toys you can make — including a vibrant and colorful teddy bear, bunches of different dolls and doll clothes, plus assorted other toys. The book also includes patterns for slippers, socks, and all kinds of other gift-worthy items.
Learn More About This Book:
- Click here to check out my detailed book review of Arne & Carlos Favorite Designs.
- Click here to shop for this book at Knitpicks.
- Click here to shop for this book at Amazon.com.
There are a whole lot of outstanding amigurumi crochet patterns available for making toys and dolls. If you were to ask my opinion about the absolute best choice for a pattern book for Christmas 2020, the book pictured above would be my pick.
Bunches of reasons:
- So far, this book offers you the best value out of any of the choices I’m aware of; it has the best per-pattern price out of any of the amigurumi pattern books I’ve reviewed.
- These patterns are super fun, super cool and super cute. Well, OK, not all of these designs are cute, but most of them are.
- There are designs suitable for both boys and girls, so the boys are not left out of the fun.
- The book format is totally logical and user-friendly, with gorgeous full-color photography and readable fonts.
Learn More About This Book:
- Check out my detailed book review of Amigurumi Adorable Collection.
- Click here to shop for this book at the Leisure Arts website.
- Click here to shop for this book at Amazon.
Handmade Fashion Doll Clothes to Make and Give
If there’s a Barbie doll fanatic on your gift list, perhaps you could whip up some new Barbie wardrobe pieces to delight her. One possibility is this cute fashion doll top. Click here to find the free crochet pattern.
If these ideas aren’t quite what you had in mind, I invite you to check out our page of knitting and crochet patterns for dolls and toys to find even more suggestions. Happy crafting, and happy holidays to you and yours. I hope your family will have a delightful holiday season this year.
By Amy Solovay
About the Author: Amy Solovay is a freelance writer with a background in textile design. She holds a bachelor’s degree with a studio art minor; and she has also obtained another degree in textile design. Amy has been crocheting and making crafts since childhood, and knitting since her teenage years. Her work also appears at AmySolovay.com, KnittingandCrochet.net and Crochet-Books.com. Amy sends out a free knitting and crochet newsletter so interested crafters can easily keep up with her new patterns and tutorials.