Want to make your own affordable, attractive sunflower arrangement? This design is easy to do, and it’s ideal for summer or fall decorating and gift-giving:
- Use several of these arrangements as table centerpieces at children’s or teens’ birthday parties.
- An arrangement like this would make a lovely housewarming gift for friends who have moved during the summer or fall months.
- Decorate your desk at work with a sunflower arrangement.
- Place a sunflower arrangement on the mantelpiece in your living room or family room, or on a side table, cupboard or shelf in the living room, hallway or foyer.
Materials and Supply List:
I bought the craft supplies for this arrangement at the dollar store. I can’t guarantee that you’ll find everything you need at your local dollar store, but between the dollar store, the craft store and maybe even your own craft supply stash, you should be able to grab what you need.
Vase or container, with an appropriately-sized block of floral foam that fits inside. For your reference, our floral foam piece measures 3 7/8” x 3 7/8” x 3 7/8” (98 mm x 98 mm x 98 mm,) but you should choose foam that’s best-suited to your container, even if it’s a little bigger or smaller. If you go with a bigger container, you’ll need to make sure to get enough other supplies to make it look full.
A silk flower stem that includes a sunflower as the focal point, plus other smaller flowers. Because I was working on a small, tight budget for this project, I only used one stem of flowers. If you have the money to spend and the inclination to spend it, you can buy more flower stems and make a fuller sunflower arrangement.
Colorful, fun lollipops. For decorations at a child’s birthday party, you could use balloon-shaped lollipops like the ones pictured in our example arrangement. If you want a more sophisticated look, you could go with gourmet chocolate lollipops shaped like sunflowers, bows, ribbons, ovals or whatever other shape suits the look you have in mind.
Curling ribbon – for the lazy floral designer, there’s premade ribbon. For the ambitious do-it-yourselfer, you can buy the ribbon on spools and use a pair of scissors to curl it yourself. When making the example sunflower arrangement, I went the premade route, and used a package of 3 premade curly ribbon bows.
Floral pins and / or adhesive.
How to Make the Sunflower Arrangement:
- Put the floral foam inside the vase or container.
- Using either floral pins or glue, pin or attach the ribbons to the top of the block of foam, arranging them so they cover it as much as possible.
- Add the silk flower stem(s) to the arrangement
- Stick the lollipops down into the block of floral foam, re-arranging the ribbon as necessary
- Snap a picture of your completed arrangement for posting on your blog or social networks! If you do share, links back to this page are much appreciated so your friends can find and use these instructions too. Thanks so much for your interest in our free crafts info, and thanks in advance to everyone who links to this page. We are sincerely grateful to all of you who help to spread the word about our projects.
- Now it’s time to either decorate with your sunflower arrangement, or pass the arrangement on to its new owner. We really hope you’ll be delighted with it, and that, if it’s a gift, the recipient(s) will love it too.
More Sunflower Craft Projects:
This page was last updated on 12-3-2018.